“I love introducing kids to technology at Code Club, whether it's through coding or putting a new device into their hands for them to explore. For me, it's about exposing them to as many things as I can and allowing them to discover for themselves (with a little help from me).”Brian Hill, Code Club volunteer USA
- Minimum commitment of one school term
- Volunteer solo or team up with a colleague or friend
- Connect with a community venue via our search function
- Volunteer for one hour per week (usually after-school or during lunch time)
- Around 15 children aged 9 - 13 in each club
- No previous knowledge of coding needed
- Gain great volunteering experience and transferable skills
- Help children use Code Club projects to make games, animations and websites
Get Started as a Code Club Volunteer
Step 1: Check if your country has an official Code Club community and contact them for support, such as finding a venue or setting up your club.
Step 2: Find a venue, volunteers and students for your club. If you are struggling to find a venue, you can look for venue hosts in your area with our search tool.
Step 3: Plan with your Code Club's venue host to decide the details of your club.
Step 4: Register your club on our website. You will receive an email directly after registering explaining how to verify your club - you'll need to do this before you get started.!
Step 5: Before you start volunteering, you must comply with local law and complete any local checks needed to work with children. Your club venue may be able to help with this.
Step 6: Use the Code Club projects, which are step-by-step guides for the children to follow, to run the club sessions. You don't need to be a coding expert to run a club, but you'll need to practice projects ahead of your Code Club, to make sure you can answer student questions.
Step 7: Check out the extra resources for verified clubs in your profile, including certificates to reward achievement and posters to help teach new coding concepts.
Please note: unfortunately we cannot cover expenses or provide hardware for our volunteers.
How do I start?
I'm ready to run a Code Club
If you have already found a venue, volunteers and kids to take part in your Code Club, then you're ready to get started. All you need to do is register and verify your club.
I need a venue
Need help finding a venue to host your Code Club? You can search for venues near you using our search tool and send them a message about volunteering.
Frequently Asked Questions
Got questions about starting a Code Club? Check out the answers in our FAQs.
How Code Club will support you
Our team are here to support you on your journey to becoming a Code Club volunteer:
- Based in a country with an official Code Club community? Speak to your local team and meet them at events in your country
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for support
- Talk to us via Twitter or Facebook
- Our FAQs page is also full of useful information
Once you are part of a registered and activated Code Club you’ll have access to even more benefits, including:
- Downloadable resources to help you run your club, such as certificates, registers, and posters
- Updates about new projects and resources straight to your inbox
- The chance to participate in competitions and enter prize draws to win goodies for your club
It's important that Code Clubs provide safe and fun spaces for children to learn. Please take a few moments to read our page on how to work with children safely.